The Church, and a Christian acting solely in Christ's name, does not wage war in the same manner as the world.
Spiritual weapons are available... endued with divine power when wielded in His strength for divine purposes.
- Light - A good example. Leading from the front, Jesus demonstrated to the world as well as to His disciples "what right looks like" in the Father's eyes.
- Salt - Words can kill, and words can give life. Words can tear apart cities, and words can rebuild them. The difference is the source.
- Truth - The word of God, the sword of the Spirit, will not fail to bear fruit.
- Love - "Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." Most of the literature, music, and art of this world attests to the power of even the most diluted versions of love.
Next: Weapons » Light
- ...rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil ...he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. (Romans 13:3-5 NKJV)
- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:21 NKJV)
- For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:3-5 NIV)
- "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16 NKJV)
- Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. (Colossians 4:6 NKJV)
- ...speaking the truth in love... (Ephesians 4:15 NKJV)
- Love never fails. (1 Corinthians 13:8 NKJV)
- The Armor of God
- You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. (1 Thessalonians 5:5-8 NKJV)
- We give no offense in anything, that our ministry may not be blamed. But in all things we commend ourselves as ministers of God: in much patience, in tribulations, in needs, in distresses, in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in fastings; by purity, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Spirit, by sincere love, by the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left... (2 Corinthians 6:3-7 NKJV)
- And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. (Romans 13:11-13 NKJV)
- Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of
His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able
to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against
flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the
rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness
in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you
may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
- For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:12-13 NKJV)
- Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love. (1 Corinthians 16:13-14 NKJV)
- Interpretive Note: Nothing in this site should be misconstrued to be against a government, ruler, soldier, or law enforcement officer from doing their duty, even including the use of deadly force. Rulers do not "bear the sword in vain...". Sometimes the way to stand against evil is by physical force.
- Christians are to overcome evil. Many serve God by serving as government officials in the roles listed above. They should perform their prescribed duties as doing so unto the Lord. Many of the lessons to be learned here are related to what the military terms "winning the peace" or "winning the hearts and the minds" of the people.
- Among the most frustrating jobs of a sergeant -- keeping soldiers in uniform with all of their heavy body armor in place, and keeping them alert while on duty.
Next: Weapons » Light