Satan's character is defined by his total separation from God. The "anti..." of God. Anti-Christ.
- "The enemy...is the devil..." (Matthew 13:39 NKJV)
- "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven..." (Luke 10:18 NKJV)
- How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! (Isaiah 14:12 NKJV)
- Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. (Genesis 6:5 NKJV)
- I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. (Romans 7:21-23 KJV)
- Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith... (1 Peter 5:8-9 NKJV)
- "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it." (John 8:44 NKJV)
- Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son. Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also. (1 John 2:22-23 NKJV)
- ...Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light...his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness... (2 Corinthians 11:14-15 NKJV)
- Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to oppose him. (Zechariah 3:1NKJV)
Commentary: The devil, the world, and the flesh
- "And the devil doesn't exist either, I suppose?" -- Mikhail Bulgakov (1891 - 1940) Russian novelist and playwright. Said by the Devil to one who has denied the historical existence of Jesus. The Master and Margarita [Michael Glenny (translator)]
- Jesus Christ's own words identified the devil as "the enemy" (Matthew 13:39). If someone wishes to contest the label, take it up with the Son of the Most High God.
- When the serpent successfully tempted Eve, and Adam subsequently rebelled by choosing the companionship of Eve over communion with God, human nature was mutated from being the image of God to being the likeness of Satan.
- Therefore, Jesus declared that those who rejected His message were "... of your father the devil..." (John 8:44). All human beings are not "brothers and sisters". There are two kingdoms and two families. That is why the columns of the Matrix are labeled "Their" and "Our". All humans are born into this world as children of the devil, children of the flesh - but anyone who will hear the message of Jesus will be given an opportunity to be adopted into the family of God.
- Those that receive Jesus are "born again" as the children of God. Those that reject Him remain the children of Satan.
- Jesus called Satan a "murderer" and a "thief" seeking to "kill and to destroy".
- Satan, and those that serve him, portend to be enlightened, to be agents of all that is right in the world. Jesus called Satan a liar. The Apostle John wrote that all who deny Christ are liars.
- Two of Satan's nastiest devices are accusation and slander. When is the last time you had a bad thought, or said something injurious, about someone?
- When Christians walk after the flesh, rather than being led by the Spirit, our character resembles Satan rather than Jesus Christ.