The Lord’s Prayer – a prayer guide for daily victory in spiritual battles
- When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray, Jesus responded with the model prayer often called “The Lord’s Prayer” (Matthew 6:9-13).
- The prayer is in the plural. Jesus uses “our” and “us” throughout the prayer. We pray not only for ourselves, but with all of the children of God in mind. This is intercessory prayer on a grand scale.
“Our Father, seated on heaven’s throne, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”
- We remember and reassert that our Father, the only living God, is alone exalted and enthroned in heaven. This awesome thought is our hope, our security, our provision, and our guidon. (Matthew 6:9)
- As soldiers in the Lord’s army, we must align ourselves with our Father’s eternal plan: His name, His kingdom, and His will. (Matthew 6:10)
“Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors.”
- We must trust in His daily provision of our needs to avoid being snared by the deceitfulness of riches, and the cares of this world. (Matthew 6:11; 13:7,22)
- Our heavenly Father will faithfully forgive our sins, and give us the grace to forgive others. Being reconciled to God through Christ, we have been assigned the ministry of reconciliation to the world. One hand held by His hand, one hand holding tight to our neighbor’s hand. (Matthew 6:12)(1 John 1:5-10; Psalm 51:1-15; 2 Corinthians 5:18-21)
Victorious Power – to deliver us from the evil one
“And don’t allow us to be lead into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.”
- Our Father God desires to walk with us, leading us in paths of righteousness, and away from temptation and trial. (Matthew 6:13)
- Only God is powerful enough to deliver us from the evil one. No plan, device, or earthly power can separate us from His love. (1 John 3:8; Romans 8:37-39)
For more scriptures to help with prayer in spiritual warfare see: Spiritual Warfare Prayers
The Good Fight of Faith: Prayer Warriors